Application Performance Management
Application Performance Management (Monitoring and performance management) represent the services for management of performance and they provide "end to end" customer solutions in the field of performance management. The services include monitoring of applications, of their performance, diagnostics and their availability. Services belonging to this subclass are the following:
- Customer Experience Management,
- Web applications monitoring,
- Databases management,
- Operating system administration.
Performance Engineering Services
This group of services includes a variety of techniques, roles, activities, methodologies and tools that are used in different phases of each system development lifecycle or development of an application, which guarantee the designed solution to be designed, implemented and supported in order to meet the system performance requirements. Services or activities of Performance Engineering and their relations to system lifecycle phases:
Requirements Collection and Analysis
- Performance Objectives – help to determine the scope and priorities of work by establishing the boundaries and limits. They set up the performance objectives that help to detect where to begin and how to process and decide; reveal the performance parameters of an application.
- Budgeting – the budget allows specifying the constraints and taking decisions about the amount of money to be spent and in which phase.
Architecture Proposal and Design
- Performance Design Guidelines – application of design patterns and principles which enable to apply techniques helping to achieve the optimal performance from the beginning of the development.
- Performance Modelling – application of performance modelling techniques providing the structured and reusable approach to fulfilment of performance objectives.
- Performance Design Inspections – design review focused on performance represents an efficient way of problem detection in the application.
- Performance Code Inspections – detection and identification of performance pitfalls in the application code during its review. During the code analysis, it is important to know what to search for and how. The performance code review is focused on non-efficient processes which may cause performance hurdles.
- Performance Testing – stress tests are used to generate metrics, verify the behaviour of an application and tracking the performance during normal and peak load.
- Performance Deployment Inspections – monitoring production indicators during the deployment phase or the deployment. It verifies the load, estimates the level of resource utilisation, response time and throughput.
Operation and Support
- Capacity Planning – performance indicators should be continuously measured and monitored also in time of application deployment in productive environment. The influences that may change the system performance include increased user load, deployment of new applications into shared infrastructure, system and software adjustments and application upgrades, expanded or new functionality.
Business Continuity Services
Business Continuity Services include activities designed to ensure that crucial business functions are available to customers, suppliers and to other subjects that need to have the access to those functions. These activities include a lot of daily work, such as project management, system backup, change management and help desk. Business Continuity is not something to be done in the time of crisis occurrence. Business Continuity refers to the actions provided on a daily basis in order to sustain performance, consistency and reusability.
Services focused on building and administration of dynamic and optimized infrastructure which supports business, operational and product innovations. Their task is to solve problems posed by time, and in relation to organizational growth, complexity of IT infrastructure and deployment of many new applications in order to support business activities as well as overall support of automation and electronic communication. Server Services help to keep in step with growing business requirements; new technologies reduce infrastructure costs while increasing its capacity.